Hope Haven offers professional counseling services for the family’s individual needs. Counseling is offered for children, adolescents and families with a wide range of services including parent-child interaction therapy, individual or family therapy, anger management groups and specialized training for parents of children with special needs. An anxiety disorders clinic assesses anxiety and depression in children and adolescents, and offers treatment.
Individual counseling is available in the areas of behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, disability challenges, and child/adolescent counseling.
Family Counseling services include child management, adjustment to divorce, blended families and step-family issues, problem solving at home and school, and individual adult/parent therapy.
Counseling groups are available in the following areas: parenting, social skills, anger management, and grief.
Anxiety Disorders Clinic
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental health problem in children and adolescents today. Anxiety disorders interfere with a child’s personal well-being and development. Such disorders cause children to have problems making and keeping friends, reaching academic potential, participating in family activities, achieving a general sense of happiness and developing a positive self-image. Anxious children are more likely to become anxious adults.
Symptoms of an anxious child or adolescent may include:
- excessive worries about many different things
- panic attacks
- fear of a specific object or situation
- refusal to attend school
- fear of separating from parents
- avoidance of social situations
- repetitive distressing thoughts and behaviors
- ongoing fears after a traumatic experience.
Treatment for anxiety disorder typically includes:
- counseling and education for the child and parents
- helping the child to think more realistically
- gradual exposure to fears in order to teach effective coping techniques.